The editor of the Daybreak Newspaper Prince Pra who was detained by the BNI on Wednesday has confirmed that he was released Wednesday night after he was arrested in connection with a publication about an alleged impending ousting of the Chief of Defence Staff.
There were reports on Wednesday that Mr. Pra had been picked up by the BNI for interrogation, which many believe had to do with the paper’s report that the Chief of Defence Staff, Lt. Gen Blay was going to be replaced by Lt. Gen. Carl Mordey of the Ghana Revenue Authority.
Speaking on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show with Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah Thursday, Mr. Pra noted that prior to his arrest, he received a call from a gentleman who introduced himself as Isaac Mensah. He explained that the said Isaac Mensah informed him that he wanted him to do a “story about some big man somewhere.”
It was upon meeting the gentleman later in the day that Pra was informed that his presence was required by the NBI boss. The editor however refused to go with them, insisting that since it was an invitation, he would honour it on Thursday.
But his persistence was countered by a sharp order by one other officer who yelled “hey my friend get up and lets go.”
“He said I am under arrest, he handcuffed me, put me inside the vehicle and then we drove to the office,” he narrated.
Mr. Pra said his phone was subsequently seized and was ordered not to talk to anybody. He said he was subsequently interrogated on the source of the story without the presence of his lawyer even though he requested for one.
“Kojo, we are not criminals, when somebody handcuffs you, is it very friendly in public? They push you into a vehicle like a criminal as if I am a thief, what is it?,” he asserted.
Pra stressed that he was not allowed to make contacts with his lawyer until he was released.
On the veracity of the story which government has so far denied, Mr Pra holds the view that government has the penchant of denying such stories that turn out to be true: “They have always denied every story the Daybreak has put out concerning the military but it turned out to be very true.”
He added, “when we broke the story about the 67 [prospective recruits] who failed their exams and yet they were inserted and they are in the military now, they said it wasn’t true, but it turned out to be true.”