Two children were burnt beyond recognition on Sunday evening when fire gutted their parents’ bungalow at the Kaleo Vocational Secondary School in the Nadowli District in the Upper West Region. Ellen Mwin, nine months, and Dennis Mwin, four years, were together with their parents in the room when the incident occurred.Eyewitnesses said about 10 p.m. on Sunday, they noticed that a bungalow belonging to one of the teachers at the school, Mr Eric Mwin, was on fire. An alarm was raised and people rushed to the scene.
They said when they got to the premises, Mr and Mrs Eric Mwin had managed to fight their way out of the room after they had been partially burnt in their effort to save the children. However, the two children who had been left in the room were killed in the fire.The Upper West Regional Crime Officer, Superintendent Wisdom Lavoe, who confirmed the incident to the Daily Graphic, said the cause of the fire was yet to be determined.He said post-mortem had been conducted on the deceased for them to be handed over to their family later for burial. Meanwhile the parents of the deceased, Mr Eric Mwin and his wife, are said to be receiving medical attention at the Wa Regional Hospital while police investigations continue.