The fascination for digital games is based on several factors. On the one hand, it is based on the gaming experience itself, and on the other hand, on the existing gaming culture, in which social networks and streaming platforms also play a role. Certain mechanics appear in many games and have a motivating effect on the players. These game mechanics include:
- Feedback / Reward: The activities of the players lead to immediate feedback on the performance. This can take the form of a point win, a status display, or an event in the game, for example. Further examples of rewards in digital games are badges, level advancements, the receipt of virtual items, the development of skills, or gaming equipment such as gamingchairsireland.
- Ranking lists: The competitive character can be reinforced by ranking lists and thus have a motivating effect on the players. You can therefore compare your performance with that of others.
- Collaboration: Certain games require multiple players to work together. The team spirit and the possible competition in the fight against other teams can provide motivation here.
- Storytelling: Narrative structures are a central component of many games. The progress of the story and possibly the identification with certain characters can motivate players to continue playing.
- Difficulty levels: Many games have different levels of difficulty, so groups of players with different levels of experience and skills have a chance of success.
- Trial-and-error principle: If the players do not succeed in achieving a goal within a digital game on the first attempt, they can usually complete the corresponding game segment again without major consequences.
ONLINE GAMES AS SOCIAL NETWORKS
Online games have now developed into virtual places for social interaction, where people chat or communicate via a headset. For many young people, the game mechanics themselves only play a minor role. You meet up with friends in online games like Fortnite, with the game world taking a back seat. Certain games have now established themselves as social spaces and have replaced social networks such as Facebook, especially for younger users. Manners from digital games are also carried over into real life. A prominent example is the dances from Fortnite, which are now even performed by football professionals as a form of a goal celebration.
THE FASCINATION OF LET’S PLAY VIDEOS
Watching other players play – this or a similar one could describe the basic principle of so-called Let’s Play Videos. Well-known platforms for Let’s Play videos are primarily YouTube and Twitch. Many online shops for games (for example the shops for the Xbox and Playstation game consoles) have already linked their range of games directly with Let’s Play videos and live streams of the respective games. In addition to the entertainment factor, they also offer those interested a first authentic practical impression of the respective games.
CURRENT TRENDING GAMES
Fortnite is undoubtedly one of the most popular games at the moment. The game gained popularity mainly through its Battle Royale mode and was picked up in numerous Let’s Play videos from the start. In Battle Royale mode, players compete against each other with the aim of being the last one left at the end of a game round.
The soccer simulation is a real long-running favorite, especially with male players. The game series appears annually in an updated version and is always one of the best-selling game titles of the entire year. FIFA relies on the licensing of the real football clubs and players as well as realism. Players should have the feeling that they are controlling real professionals in this simulation.
Even if the current series offshoot GTA V was released in 2013, the game is still one of the best-selling games of the year. The main reason for this is the online mode GTA Online, which the developers always provide with new content. In GTA, players slip into the role of criminals and do tasks like robbing a bank.
- Battlefield and Call of Duty
Battlefield and Call of Duty are first-person shooter games, the settings of which are mostly based on past world wars or future scenarios. Both games are regularly updated with new series offshoots and are known for their online game modes, in which players compete against each other individually or in teams.
The brick game Minecraft is best known for its deliberately pixelated game optics. The aim of the game is to collect raw materials in order, for example, to build entire cities. Minecraft is also still very popular among Let’s Players, mainly due to the almost unlimited construction and combination options in the game.